Sunday, September 8, 2013

Breaking Radio Silence

Its been  a while since I posted last. This year its been mostly re purposing stuff that I had published and a couple of quick editorials. That is about to change for the foreseeable future.
I have finally gone and done what I have thought about for years. I have resigned from my job to start HC3 Advisors (Human Capital 3.0) as a full time pursuit. As a  Senior HR practitioner with a strong resume one might wonder why and for now that's a conversation not a blog post. The short answer is its been a life long dream and if not now maybe never...and I am excited and yes a little nervous and anxious.
My career has been a zig -zag of opportunities, luck, setbacks, being in the right place, and even a couple of black swan type events. It has its share of ups and downs, however for the most part it has been a great ride. I have been to more then 30 cities in the U.S, and another dozen around the globe. I have dined on Peking duck in Shanghai, slept in a factory dormitory in Nanjing, and worked a career fair in Shenzhen city too. More then 40 trips across the border to Mexico has unfortunately done little for my command of Spanish, but it has certainly given me insight to the culture and beauty of our next door neighbors. My experience with mergers, acquisitions, and consolidations (as well as plant closings) has given me a unique vantage point to the realities and pain points of big business. I have had the opportunity to work with some great talent, done some really cool HR stuff and grabbed a  few high profile awards. These opportunities have given me the platform to pay it back. I speak at major conferences, moderate panels at local events, and teach graduate school. I currently hold 2 non-profit board positions and get to write articles for industry publications from time to time. I am fortunate that my experiences are shared for the right reasons.

So here I am almost 5 years since my first blog post. I have started and stopped this blog far too many times. Today is the very  first time I don't have a "big brother" looking over my shoulder. No more concerns over management telling me to shut it down for fear of kissing and telling or letting an outsider see the true underbelly of business.

  I have something much bigger to be concerned with as I move forward, my personal reputation. I would love to tell you that this site will be snarky and fun, but I will  keep that in balance as I transition to "boss".

 Then again I am known to be outspoken and occasionally rebellious, if not thought provoking.

So this station is back on the dial...I invite you to tune in from time to time. You won't be disappointed!

No comments: