Sunday, October 6, 2013

Thought Leadership

I am back from SHRM's thought leaders retreat in San Diego. It's the one event I look forward to each year, a room filled with 150 of the most brilliant HR and business minds in the country. there is always a couple of take aways each year, and this year was no different.

Take away # 1- BIG DATA. Ok everyone is talking about it, but it is really a big deal...the speaker was a techie from the Motorola team (actually a Googler on loan)...they are doing great stuff in Google world and their subsidiaries too.I was taken back by the application of trends and words to outcomes.
Take away #2 - HR's relevance in the board room. It's still there, however its fading like a hair line...they are actually related...HR leadership is aging and there just isn't a bench at most companies...we finely got put in the game and there are no back ups...so much for succession planning.
Take away # 3 - Its a global world and US practices no longer are the driving force in business actions... ok this one is pretty obvious.

Then there is my personal take away, going to these 2 days are still the best business and time investment I make each year. I am engaged from end to end, the conversation at the meals and cocktail hour are worth the trip even without world class content...I have my calendar out already to schedule next years event.

No comments: